Re: [p2-dev] Pack200 compression?

I suggest entering a bug report against platform releng for this. I thought we already had a bug for it but couldn't find one. As Pascal mentioned they aren't used but it would be good to clear them out.

John

Thomas Hallgren <thomas@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/22/2009 02:18 AM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
[p2-dev] Pack200 compression?

I found lots repository files under download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates
that have the extension .jar.pack.gz (i.e. composite.jar.pack.gz and
artifacts.jar.pack.gz). That made me curious. Why would we ever use
pack200 on files that never contain java binaries? To my knowledge, that
just adds lots of unnecessary overhead. Will P2 ever look for such
files? And if it does, what's the rationale behind that?

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren