Re: [p2-dev] Issue running p2 director

Categories are a necessary concept. However I think the UI presentation allowing to "install a category" leads ppl to install too much because they don't drill into the categories (see for example on the galileo site) or when a category is not created to have to be fully installed then it confuses people (e.g. imagine a categorized p2 repo for EPIC).
The other mechanism that has been proposed by Henrik and Thomas is one of tagging, but I'm not quite sure how this relates to categories.

Inactive hide details for James D Miles ---09/14/2009 01:35:42 PM---I also think the category is a good abstraction. If the catJames D Miles ---09/14/2009 01:35:42 PM---I also think the category is a good abstraction. If the category is created with the idea of possibly installing whatever may b

James D Miles <jdmiles@xxxxxxxxxx>

09/14/2009 01:35 PM

Re: [p2-dev] Issue running p2 director

I also think the category is a good abstraction. If the category is created with the idea of possibly installing whatever may be under it what is wrong with that? However if there is a better way to do this then I would use that.

Inactive hide details for Daniel Jacobowitz ---09/14/2009 11:52:53 AM---On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 11:07:47AM -0400, Pascal RapicaDaniel Jacobowitz ---09/14/2009 11:52:53 AM---On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 11:07:47AM -0400, Pascal Rapicault wrote: >

Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@xxxxxxxxx>

09/14/2009 11:52 AM

Re: [p2-dev] Issue running p2 director

Sent by:

p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 11:07:47AM -0400, Pascal Rapicault wrote:

> The short answer is no. There is no mechanism to install all the elements
> found in a category and there is no problem with the EMF repo.

I've found that installing a category IU using the director does
pretty much what you'd expect.  But it looks to me like it's a bug
rather than a feature that this works; when you click on a category in
the UI, the category's IU is not installed, only its children.  When
you install a category using the director, the category IU is
installed.

IMO it would be helpful if the director let you install a category,
in the same way as the UI.  Whether that means both install the
category IU or neither does, I don't know.

It may not be helpful with the categories presented by the eclipse.org
update sites, but it's helpful with the categories we present in our
product.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery