Re: [p2-dev] Starting bundles programatically without restarting the system

The restart is done at the level of bundles, this is only level of restart exposed by OSGi. Therefore all the services that are registered by a given bundle will be discarded on stop and some new ones will be published on start. However this is only one side of the problem, since all the users of those services will have to release the old services and grab the new one (watching for the service lifecycles). This is the whole difficulty of such dynamic systems, but usually this is not done solely manually but you usually use ServiceTracker, DS or SpringOSGi.

>If a bundle is dependent on some osgi service does the configurator attempt to restart that service when its calling applyConfigurations()?
No.

Inactive hide details for Saminda Wijeratne ---07/31/2009 07:04:52 PM---Thank you for the explanation. Does it restart registerSaminda Wijeratne ---07/31/2009 07:04:52 PM---Thank you for the explanation. Does it restart registered osgi services? Because of my lack of investigation earlier I hadn't n

Saminda Wijeratne <samindaw@xxxxxxxx>

p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

07/31/2009 07:04 PM

Re: [p2-dev] Starting bundles programatically without restarting the system

Thank you for the explanation. Does it restart registered osgi services? Because of my lack of investigation earlier I hadn't noticed that its only the services (which was registered by our product) which was restarted. And not all services restarted successfully, some failed. However the relevant bundles had remained active it seems. And the new bundles were started ok. due to failed services the system was  unusable.

the bundles newly installed do not replace any existing bundles with newer versions (or patching for that matter) but they do depend on many of the bundles that already exists in the system (alot of wiring on import packages that is). If a bundle is dependent on some osgi service does the configurator attempt to restart that service when its calling applyConfigurations()?

Thanks in advance,
Saminda