Re: [p2-dev] Using the new "sofware site" target provisioner

Hi Darin,
I tested this and made the following observations:

I stared by trying to add a "Sofware Site". I deliberately omitted to specify os/ws/arch. The result of this omission was that my platform defaults were used. That's not what I wanted. I need a platform that I can use for publishing features into a P2 repository. The features includes fragments from all possible platforms.

Although you write that it doesn't make much sense, I still attempted to complement my target platform with a "Directory" where I had the delta-pack feature and tried again. Now, when it loads things from the "Software Site", I can see that it downloads the artifacts that are already present in the delta-pack (I can see them by checking the "Show Plug-in Content"). Wouldn't it be more efficient to let all types share a common bundle pool?

Using a profile to manage a target platform doesn't sound right to me but perhaps I got it all wrong in respect to how to set up a target platform. What is the recommended approach given my requirements?

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Darin Wright wrote:
Pascal asked me to send a note to the list describing how to use the "Software Site" target provisioner for the upcoming test pass. It's is designed to share target definitions with team members based on IU's/repositories. Here are a few notes on using it:

Software Site Target Provisioner * Open the Target Platform preference pave via Window > Preferences... > Plug-in Development > Target Platform from the top level menu. * Press "Add...", ensure the "empty" target is selected, and press "Next". * Enter a name for the target definition - something like "Sofware Site Test". * Press "Add...", select "Software Site" and press "Next". * Use the "Add Software Site" page to select some IUs from a repository. You can select/add repositories just like you would from the "Install New Software" dialog. * Pressing "Finish" will cause the required bundles to be downloaded and stored locally (when using the wizard, you will be blocked during download - if you use the target definition editor, you will not be blocked while the download occurs). * The "Plug-ins" tab will display all the bundles once they have been downloaded.

Notes:
* The "Software Site" provisioner allows specific versions of IUs to be selected. * You can add multiple sites to a target. This allows content to be derived from different sites (for example, the SDK from eclipse.org, and EMF from somewhere else). * You can add/remove sites/IUs from a target definition incrementally. * All target definitions share a local bundle pool (repository) in the org.eclipse.pde.core metadata area (.bundle_pool directory), and this respository is garbage collected as definitions are deleted. * All "software sites" contained in each target definition are managed by a p2 profile - but other locations (bundles sources) are not currently managed by the profile (for example, directories or installs). For this reason, it does not make a lot of sense to mix software sites with other types of locations (for example, adding an "install" to a target, and then adding from a site, will duplicate bundles in the target, as the the implementation does not currently manage the install as part of the profile).

Darin Wright