Re: [p2-dev] Where to place ECF/p2 error translation/messages

Hi Henrik,

Henrik Lindberg wrote:
Makes sense to have a new o.e.e.p2.repository bundle - I was just looking at IStateful in artifact repository, and was just contemplating moving it to p2.core.
I will rename the "transport" bundle I just created as suggested.

Regarding error codes - the best would naturally be if ECF had full abstraction of error codes - maybe an implementation in p2 can serve as a model?

Yes, we recognize this (that it would be better to have a full abstraction of error codes)...but have not been able to get to it. I would be happy if this abstraction could migrate/be contributed to org.eclipse.ecf.filetransfer API. If this can/could happen rapidly (i.e. before API freeze) all the better...but I can't commit resources to it directly at the moment. But since you (Henrik) are doing this, I'm happy to work with you to get it in place.

I am thinking of having a few higher order "transport" exceptions (malformed address, unknown transport, unknown host, (remote) file not found, unauthorized, timeout, etc) with details from underlying protocol. Right now there are quite a few different exceptions that surface from the ECFTransport classes. It was quite interesting to run test with addresses faulty in different ways (behavior ranges from complete freeze and strange messages, to generic "can not connect to"). I intend to nail all of these down.

Great. Let me know the timing on things...if we can/should get these in for API freeze for ECF 3.0 terrific...if it needs/wants to be in future release then that's OK too.

Scott

Back to the top