Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 11:09:45 -0500
From: Christopher J Gross <chris.gross@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [nebula-dev] Re: nebula-dev Digest, Vol 9, Issue 17
To: Nebula Dev <nebula-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I don't have a problem with this.  I don't think we should worry about
including a src.zip but I'm board with snippets and javadoc.  Most people
don't care about the source.  Re javadoc, ideally I'd like to include a
help plugin that added the javadoc to the main Eclipse help.

"David J. Orme" <djo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: nebula-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
12/21/2006 11:51 AM
Please respond to
Nebula Dev <nebula-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

nebula-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[nebula-dev] Re: nebula-dev Digest, Vol 9, Issue 17

I've been thinking about this and I'm still supportive, but don't want to
lose some of the benefits of how we do things now.

One advantage we have right now is that we provide closer to one-stop
shopping for people who download our controls.

What I mean is that inside the download zip, we all provide a JAR for the
widget itself and a separate JavaDoc directory, all at once.  In
CompositeTable, I've extended this idea and made my build script also
include a src.zip and a snippets.zip so that when someone downloads
CompositeTable, they really have *everything* they need to get started
with it.  We can get away with this because our controls are really small
downloads to begin with, so throwing all the documentation, source code,
and snippets into the distribution makes sense.

If we were to move to one plugin per control, I would still want the
download file to be a ZIP containing the plugin jar, plus all the stuff it
currently has (snippets.zip, src.zip, JavaDoc, etc).  There is no reason
to make our users download five tiny things in order to use a control. One
download should be sufficient.

Regards,

Dave Orme

Back to the top