Re: [mpc-dev] Marketplace questions

Some additional comments below.

On 06.03.2013 22:31, Ian Skerrett wrote:
> 3.       I've found various references how people can run their own
> marketplace independent of the Eclipse marketplace; it has to be a Webserver
> with a conforming REST API that's up and reachable most of the time. Does
> the Eclipse Foundation provide the scripts / server-side code to run such a
> marketplace ? Or is there any other help I could get if we (Wind River)
> would want to run a marketplace of our own that caters to our clients ?

> to our Drupal instance.

There's an open-source implementation of the marketplace server API on
SourceForge called Marketplace catalog for Eclipse:

   http://sourceforge.net/p/marketplace-cat/

In case you want to look into implementing your own marketplace server, the
REST API is documented here:

   http://wiki.eclipse.org/Marketplace/REST

> 4.       When adding a listing, I see that it supports a single "update site
> URL" only. Unfortunately, some solutions have dependencies on other items so
> it would make sense to include additional p2 repositories in addition to the
> master site when resolving dependencies. Is that possible somehow ? Could
> maybe my master repository specify what additional child repositories need
> to be contacted for resolving dependencies ?

> additional p2 repositories from Marketplace.

There are a couple of things you can do.

1. If you control the main update site or feature(s), you can (and probably
should) make sure that all required sites are seeded into the user's site
list. To do that you can
a) at the feature level add discovery sites: in the feature editor under
"Information/Sites to visit"
b) at the p2 repository level add repository references. I'm using
Buckminster, where a repository is defined through a feature project. There
you can just add discovery urls as above and they will end up as repository
references in the p2 metadata. Not sure how this works with PDE/build or Tycho.

2. If you don't control these artifacts, you can always just create your own
composite repository pointing to the required repositories and use that as
your marketplace update site. See here:

   http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox/p2/Composite_Repositories_(new)

> As an example for (4), I want to add a listing for this:
>

> TCF Target Explorer Terminals:
>
> Repo = http://download.eclipse.org/tools/tcf/builds/development/nightly
>
> FeatureID = org.eclipse.tcf.te.terminals.feature.feature.group
>
> Required-Repo = http://download.eclipse.org/tm/builds/development/nightly

As a composite repository, that would look like this:

compositeContent.xml:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<?compositeMetadataRepository version='1.0.0'?>
<repository name='TCF nightly composite'
type='org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.metadata.repository.CompositeMetadataRepository'
version='1.0.0'>
  <children size='2'>
    <child
location='http://download.eclipse.org/tools/tcf/builds/development/nightly'/>
    <child
location='http://download.eclipse.org/tm/builds/development/nightly'/>
  </children>
</repository>

compositeArtifacts.xml:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<?compositeArtifactRepository version='1.0.0'?>
<repository name='TCF nightly composite'
type='org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.artifact.repository.CompositeArtifactRepository'
version='1.0.0'>
  <children size='2'>
    <child
location='http://download.eclipse.org/tools/tcf/builds/development/nightly'/>
    <child
location='http://download.eclipse.org/tm/builds/development/nightly'/>
  </children>
</repository>

> Of course I'd make sure that the "nightly" repos are replaced by "released"
> or "milestone" ones for the real listing, but what I really need is a way to
> guarantee access / resolving of TM dependencies from the main TCF repo.
>

> Many thanks for any pointers !
>

> Thanks,
>
> Martin
>
> --
>
> Martin Oberhuber, SMTS / Product Architect - Development Tools, Wind River
>
> direct +43.662.457915.85  fax +43.662.457915.6

Carsten Reckord
  t  +49 561 5743277-33
  f  +49 561 5743277-8833
  e  reckord@xxxxxxxx