Re: [microprofile-wg] [BALLOT][MicroProfile Metrics 5.0] Specification - Release Review - VOTE by Dec 6th (2 weeks)
  • From: Don Bourne <dbourne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2022 17:59:31 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=ca.ibm.com; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=ca.ibm.com; dkim=pass header.d=ca.ibm.com; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1; bh=DjAb0BjHQIYliXHrgfCzWcso+wFN+70WYvFX5iPM6/c=; b=U3YXj+Fh69+rjHNhXGTsTvGsc1P9pR7Dl5w4fuTEZJrL1QAYN4HOYMFDt8+7Y586ZOdvOkYfX9Yiq9aXcBb8RZbLMiHk90AZWuHcUU8RCX96pVU2eayB/7IiG8VBwUnr3kzdWd/XXjDUs20dDgC+DApJJYT6cTgatBMcaB+uUUYNXs2xfkIUiAJnbawZ6hyNv+EtkGP4IrUnqoS112zsovJ5RNIQBfTGkXy5G8dYrrBxdjP7Nk4jPcebIeYICZ5AGm5f0t/bEptoBEkCQxXKsWS37LFnEjCG02mM735SybejYARMAQ2wIF1wOY86RVjvkPa4p9LFID3nIc8xF279Ow==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=RyjgdIBvwGoV9jzAkM26LOqbUGiFzrV2c1D19yyrCFJG650zowDTVwN25ZMPUrExdI4HDh5mLBKLQlGkAf0EQrTmLsw42QUTFNqv+neAqIhqUVywfkRrGr1KLSdHmlN8lZ3IXtb48bYfV/3UnE3v5pzl5ZIblmlUgG0cyk5f39aYyMYWkzpyglvoGq7zgU0fxbc1U2utMOBs+orcDT3xftE9wf1XKAmCbvCvEt+fT52uK5xrQK0cpWR2SCOEBHgQCtbOxILYJwyMOCs3AXLlWvI9uGLRIQiYAR1fhI4AoW84fwwif+jtUz43H+ZX3fcvEIzwCp7Cm/iekESa7Rmn6g==

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your comments. As you mention, I think the README thing can be addressed in a service release as it doesn’t technically break anyone.

One thing worth mentioning about MP Metrics vs. Micrometer vs. OpenTelemetry metrics… We did take an impl-agnostic approach to MP Metrics 5 (you can impl MP Metrics 5 with anything you want), but in practice (and our SmallRye impl) the impls are using Micrometer.  As you may know, when an OTel agent is added to a runtime with Micrometer classes, OTel consumes the metrics from Micrometer.  So in practice MP Metrics 5 impls (at least the ones based on either Micrometer) will be compatible with OTel.

Regards,

Don