[mdt-sphinx.dev] Sphinx planning

Dear Sphinx developers,

Sphinx has been put in place at Eclipse since exactly one year now (yes, already one year ;)). As planned, it is being used and further developed in Artop. However, other than that there haven't been any major adoptions of Sphinx so far.

One of the reasons is that we have never managed to make any official Sphinx release. Up to now, we are only consuming integration builds of Sphinx in Artop. Another reason that has caused Sphinx to be sidelined at Eclipse is the fact that we are not yet participating in the simultaneous release train.

To address these issues, Christian Knüchel from BMW Car IT and myself have put a preliminary planning for the further evolution of Sphinx together [1]. There is not yet very much content in terms of exiting new contributions, but it does give a clear picture of upcoming releases, milestones, release train participation and their dates. According to what we have heard from different sources this already helps to strengthen confidence of potential new adopters. Aside from that, we consider the planning to be an ongoing process. So, by the time where major new contributions will be proposed we will simply update the planning accordingly.

We would like to ask you to have a look at that plan and to provide us your feedback, your questions, ideas or what ever else might come up in your minds. Based on this feedback, we will then put a final Sphinx planning together and let it go public.

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Sphinx/planning

Best regards,

Stephan

Back to the top