Re: [justj-dev] JustJ for Java 16

On Thu, 6 May 2021 at 07:30, Ed Merks <ed.merks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Jonah,

So far I've only produce a milestone for Java 16:

https://download.eclipse.org/justj/jres/16/updates/

ok. FWIW https://download.eclipse.org/justj/www/?page=download with its link to https://download.eclipse.org/justj/jres/16/downloads/latest/ does not make it obvious that Java 16 is a Milestone as it looks the same as all the other Java versions there.

I have not tested it with the installer nor have I tested creating any installations with it yet.  I seem to recall hearing that some of the 2021-03 EPP packages didn't work with Java 16 because of some removals, so that made me concerned about making it available as a choice in the installer because choosing that and the most recent release might not work.  And of course all the existing mechanisms around BREEs and such assume that only a lower bound needs to be specified so nowhere is there information that would specify "don't use Java 16 for Eclipse version 4.19 and lower or for EPP Packages 2021-03 or lower"...

2021-03 (cpp at least) does not work with Java 16 - but AFAIU the installer still allows using Java 15 for older cpp releases and Java 15 does not work for some of them (can't remember exactly which releases, but certainly far enough back does not work with latest Java). 2021-06 (cdt and platform at least) are likely to work with Java 16 as there is active testing against those versions. That said, the Platform plan currently only lists Java 11 and 15: https://www.eclipse.org/projects/project-plan.php?planurl=http://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/development/plans/eclipse_project_plan_4_20.xml

My concern was that I thought there was some restriction from EF that EPP *had* to use the latest Java in what is available in eclipse.org/download? So I don't want EPP (and other projects) to be surprised when late in the dev cycle we are chasing Java 16 compatibility because we have to upgrade. If that isn't accurate, then can we change to including LTS versions of Java only in the packages (i.e. change to Java 11)? At the moment, OpenJDK 15 is EOL already (since March).

As for releases in the PMI, in the end JustJ is kind of more like Orbit.   The JustJ project's infrastructure generates everything from the URLs of the JDKs, so it not actually maintaining JREs.   I'm not sure it makes so sense to produce a release record for each time a new 15.0.2, 16.0.1, 16.0.2, 17.0.0, and so on JDK becomes available...

That seems fine to me. The current entries look like they are for Java releases based on their release info.

If you think the packages should work with Java 16 with the upcoming milestone, I can test to see if that seems to work...

If there is no requirement to upgrade to Java 16, and Platform does not officially support it, then EPP (and installer) having it seems rather unnecessary.

Of course, Fedora (among others?) already uses Java 16 by default for the "java" command. Nut that is a discussion for anther day.

Thanks
Jonah

Regards,
Ed