Re: [jpa-dev] Updates to the Jakarta Persistence Release Plan?

On Wed, Jan 24, 2024 at 11:49 AM Tracy Burroughs via jpa-dev <jpa-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Is it time to update the Jakarta Persistence 3.2 release plan to remove items that will not be included?

Plan : https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/ee4j.jpa/releases/3.2

Specifically, it appears the following items will not make Jakarta Persistence 3.2:

    - support for subqueries in the select, from and join clauses
        https://github.com/jakartaee/persistence/issues/401

    - define stateless EntityManager
        https://github.com/jakartaee/persistence/issues/374

    - provide support for spatial queries and data types
        https://github.com/jakartaee/persistence/issues/198

The only other item that doesn’t appear complete yet is the standalone TCK. While the Jakarta EE community would like to see the Platform TCK split up, it sounds like much of that may be deferred until Jakarta EE 12. I assume it is too early to abandon this item yet.

https://github.com/jakartaee/platform-tck/pull/1202 deals with only the Persistence standalone tests and is now mentioned in issue 403.

After we merge https://github.com/jakartaee/platform-tck/pull/1202, would the Persistence Spec team want to move the Persistence standalone tests into the Persistence Spec repo?  I assume that the Persistence EE tests would remain in the Platform TCK as they are not ready yet.

    - provide standalone TCK based on Apache Maven
        https://github.com/jakartaee/persistence/issues/403

Finally, if the API changes are nearly complete, will the schema changes (persistence.xsd, orm.xsd) be targeted for the M2 delivery at the end of February?  I assume this will be required before a compatible implementation can be provided for M3.

Thanks,
Tracy Burroughs  (tkb@xxxxxxxxxx)
WebSphere Application Server Development