Re: [jms-dev] [ejb-dev] [cu-dev] Jakarta EE 10 and breaking changes

Hi,
Getting back to the original question of whether Concurrency should update their major version or not...  You should be considering semantic versioning (https://semver.org/) when making this decision.  If you are not making any incompatible API changes, then you should not increase your major version -- even if you are introducing "lots of new functions".  You should be making this decision based on the technical aspects of your Specification and how you want your users to easily consume your APIs.  Users need the ability to know whether a move to the new version of Concurrency will break their applications or not without having to dig through documentation.  The use of semantic versioning allows for this.  If Concurrency moves to version 2.x, then users will know that their applications will continue to work when they move up.  But, if Concurrency moves to version 3.0, then users have to make a conscious decision whether it's worth the effort to move up.  And, as implied by the previous replies, if Concurrency 3.0 actually doesn't introduce any incompatible changes, then you have tainted the versioning strategy and your users won't know whether to trust the numbering scheme going forward.

The use of semantic versioning by the independent Specification Projects is strongly encouraged, but it's currently not enforced.

Thanks,
Kevin