[jgit-dev] JGit and GC: why loose refs directories are left behind?

This question is more for JGit developers. However, I am sure that a lot of Gerrit Admins would be interested also :-)

Use-case: JGit on a shared NFS mounted by two Gerrit nodes. Gerrit creates a lot of refs/changes/NN/NNNNN/NN, one for each patch-set or edit.

Even if repositories are GCed regularly and refs packed, the overall performance degrade over time.
What I've noticed is that JGit does not remove the directories of the loose refs.

Example:
refs/changes/12/162392/01 gets packed in packed-refs *BUT* leave behind the refs/changes/12/162392 directory.
The problem of having too many empty directories on the repository refs is that the overall advantage of having packed refs vanishes: JGit still needs to list all the directories to see if any new loose ref pops up.

Does anybody know why JGit is behaving in that way?
Has anyone ever noticed it?

Thanks for the feedback.

Luca.

Back to the top