Re: [jgit-dev] RefDirectory/LockFile: preserve .git/packed-refs symlink

On 13.02.2018 00:31, Matthias Sohn wrote:
On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 1:34 PM, Matthias Sohn <matthias.sohn@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:matthias.sohn@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 11:31 AM, Marc Strapetz
    <marc.strapetz@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:marc.strapetz@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        I've a pending patch which resolves a bug and which I think is
        ready to be merged:

        https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/114800/
        <https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/114800/>

        and a related patch regarding symlinks:

        https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/114799/
        <https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/114799/>

        for which I have addressed the problem in a more general way in
        (still needs feedback):

        https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/114810/
        <https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/114810/>

can you please comment on Jonathan's comments in
https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/114799/2/org.eclipse.jgit/src/org/eclipse/jgit/util/FileUtils.java ?

Sorry, I forgot about the dependency between these patches. I've added comments. After Jonathan had suggested to change the LockFile itself, I had focused on this crucial change first.

Are changes 114799 and 114819 alternatives or do you think we need both ?

The LockFile patch (114810) would be an alternative to 114799 and partially to 114800.

I'd prefer if the commit messages are self-contained, they should capture the important facts. Referring to a bug having additional information is ok but the commit message should explain essentials necessary to understand the change and the reasons why it's needed.

I'm going to add details from the bug description once it's clear which route to follow. In case of the LockFile-route, would you consider to include this in 4.11 or is it something for 5?

-Marc

Back to the top