Re: [jgit-dev] Renaming "Project" to "Repository" and "GRepository"

+jgit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, repo-discuss -> bcc

Matthias Sohn wrote[1]:
Jonathan Nieder wrote:
Patrick Hiesel wrote:

I have never used JGit's RepositoryState but wanted to bring up potential name clashes by calling out an example.

By the way, with my jgit contributor hat on: the RepositoryState enum name is not self explanatory, so I wouldn't be broken hearted if it were deprecated and replaced with something more specific.

any proposal for a better name ? This class is used a lot in EGit.

Good question. I don't have a good idea off the top of my head, which is why I didn't send a change for review on https://git.eclipse.org/r/ making this more concrete.

Git's codebase has a similar concept wt_status_state, but instead of an enum, it is a collection of multiple independent fields (e.g. a cherry-pick and a rebase can be in progress at the same time). One thing I like about that name is that it at least makes it clear that it is about the state of the worktree.

On the other hand, I could imagine "git bisect" working even in a bare repo. So maybe it's about multi-step operations, instead of about the worktree.

The goal of git's "sequencer" subsystem is to control these kinds of multi-step operations (like bisect, merge + resolution + merge --continue, rebase, am, cherry-pick foo..bar, etc). I still haven't come up with a good concise name for MultiCommandOperationState. :/

Thanks,
Jonathan

That doesn't technically affect this since RepositoryState and RepoState are different identifiers, but it might be nice since then RepoState and RepositoryState would clash less in people's heads too.

Back to the top