Re: [jgit-dev] Buck based build system for JGit?

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 5:01 AM, Shawn Pearce <spearce@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Its official, I have lost motivation to work on JGit because working
on JGit means using Maven. I don't want to use Maven.

Is there interest in having a parallel build system using Buck? I
realize we cannot eliminate Maven as easily in JGit because we need to
create P2 bundles, and Tycho helps out a lot there.

I also thought about this. So far we have 2 builds in JGit to overcome the
boring limitation that Tycho can't create maven artifacts in addition to OSGi artifacts.
Only the second one (jgit packaging build) creating features and p2 repository is
using Tycho.

So we could start by first trying to build and test the jgit bundles using buck and keep
the packaging build (which is only needed for OSGi consumers) using Tycho.

I can talk to our local Tycho committers what effort they would estimate
to port creation of features and p2 repository to another build system so that we
get an idea how to also eliminate Maven from the packaging build.

Some more topics which come to my mind when thinking about moving to buck
- generating javadoc
- signing on Eclipse build server
- running Findbugs, clirr (for API analysis)
- Hudson/Jenkins integration
- Windows support

Maybe we could use Ant to fill some of the gaps at least in the beginning.

I am willing to spend time to explore this since I have been bitten
by shortcomings of Maven many times.

--
Matthias

Back to the top