Re: [jgit-dev] Using JGit to Create and 'Manage' Git Repositories

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 6:04 PM, Matthias Sohn <matthias.sohn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2013/2/11 Roberto Tyley <roberto.tyley@xxxxxxxxx>
On 11 February 2013 10:18, Isuru Haththotuwa <isurulucky@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have been using JGit for a while now, for creating repos and performing git operations from Java code. Going further, can we manage Git repositories through java code using JGit as well? What I meant from managing is creating users and assigning permissions, etc.

Hi Isuru, I think you might be confusing Git (the software) with Git-hosting (such as GitHub, or Gerrit-based services). Git itself doesn't have any real concept of users or permissions, but usually sits on top of systems which do. I can see you're a GitHub user, so perhaps you'd like to use GitHub's Java API:

...which is based on GitHub's HTTP-based API, documented here:

This API allows you to do pretty much everything you might want to do, including adding and removing team members from GitHub Orgs, though I think actually creating new user account still requires the user to sign-up on the GitHub site itself.

other Open Source options providing such services are Gerrit [1] and Gitblit [2]

+1. I was looking at gitlib and it seems to fit nicely to my requirements.
--
Matthias Sohn

--
Thanks and Regards,