Re: [jgit-dev] jGit memory management and optimizations

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Emilian Bold <emilian.bold@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It's not about releasing the memory back to the OS, it's about just not using so much of it. Ideally I would like some way to configure jGit to only cache 100MB in RAM and re-load/re-compute cache misses.

That's a nice dream. Not sure you can get there without making it so
slow that its unusable. Try getting more RAM, its fairly cheap these
days. Its not like we are still in the 640 KiB is enough for anyone
days of DOS.

> The fact that even EGit is as broken is slightly reassuring, it means the problem is on the radar. But does anybody see this as a priority or we just rely on the fact the people that use git have enough RAM anyhow?

Its not really a priority, fixing it is really difficult and thus far
has only made it too slow to be useful.

Back to the top