[jgit-dev] Terrible performance cloning repositories with lots of tags

Hey,

A guy was complaining that checking out opensim (
https://github.com/opensim/opensim ) was taking forever in our IDE. I
checked and the issue seems to be that there are over 10,000 tags and
the last part of the cloning process seems to want to go through every
tag and create a file for it in the .git/refs/tags directory. This is
*incredibly* slow with this amount of tags. If I clone with the native
git client, it does not create these files and is blazingly fast. Is
this something that can be fixed easily? I'll patch it locally if you
can tell me what needs to be done or if something is committed
upstream.

Alan

Back to the top