[jgit-dev] Dropping storage.dht package

I am considering deleting the DHT storage backend for JGit. Its
horribly complex and doesn't perform well compared to the local
filesystem and DFS backends. The DFS backend is in heavy use at
Google, and we are hoping we can find the time to port it to open
source systems like HDFS. If we do want to keep a pure a database sort
of backend, it shouldn't be what the DHT one is given how complex it
is, and how slow it is. We should instead have a simpler schema, and
accept whatever performance tradeoff that makes.

Unfortunately the DHT storage backend might be viewed as part of the
2.0 API. So deleting it means a breaking API change. But if nobody is
actually using the DHT backend, nobody would notice such a deletion.

Back to the top