[jgit-dev] Smudged Index Update Performance

Hey!

I noticed that since i last updated our JGit tree, all merge operations (merge, rebase, cherry-pick) are quite slow on our big repository. I asked the profiler (JProfiler) for his opinion, and he told me that DirCache.updateSmudgedEntries() eats up ??? seconds of the ??? seconds the cherry-pick took in whole (ofc it's slower because of the profiler, but the relation should be ok...). thats a whopping ?? percent!

Any suggestions? AFAICT the problem is that each BaseDirCacheEditor.commit() call will cause a write() on the cache, causing the updating to happen. It now depends (really?) on the number of merged files how often /all/ index entries are checked for smudging. Not so cool. I will have a look into making the update an explicit call that happens further up the call tree only once after finishing the merge, or something like that.

Regards,
Markus

Back to the top