Re: [jgit-dev] Consuming Maven artifacts at Eclipse

2012/2/23 <Nicolas.Werlein@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi everyone,

we (project “Stardust”) are right now in the process of setting up our build process in the Eclipse environment and are facing crucial problems concerning the planned consumption of Maven artifacts – and you seem to be developers of a project which is an Eclipse project based on Maven. Therefore I’d like to ask you for help.

To my understanding Eclipse is currently setting up a Maven repository that contains all artifacts from project ‘Orbit’ so that they can be retrieved from there since using  the Maven Central repository is out of the question according to Wayne Beaton (“Sorry, but obtaining dependencies for distributable Eclipse content from Maven central is a no-no.”, http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/cbi-dev/msg00091.html). Browsing through the open ‘Dash | Maven’ bugs revealed that there is a discussion about changing the Maven coordinates of the artifacts that should be published to the Eclipse Maven repository ‘Orbit’ (e.g. from ‘commons-logging:commons-logging:1.1.1’ to ‘org.apache.commons:org.apache.commons.logging:1.1.1’) – which means that an incompatible naming scheme will be introduced that prevents one from using the ‘Orbit’ repository in addition to another Maven repository. I agree that the coordinates must be adjusted since the artifacts in ‘Orbit’ are not identical (artifacts in ‘Orbit’ are signed, for example) to the ones in Maven Central – but that should be done such that Maven is still able to identify related artifacts in order to be able to do conflict detection and resolution. Hence, I filed bug #371475 since it’s vital for us and our customers that we’re able to consume artifacts from ‘Orbit’ as well as other Maven repositories (please see the bug description for details).

You seem to use the common Maven coordinates in your project as well (e.g. ‘com.jcraft:jsch’ instead of the Orbit coordinates ‘com.jcraft.jsch:com.jcraft.jsch’). That’s why the following questions come to my mind:

·         Don’t you retrieve your Maven artifacts from ‘Orbit’?

at the moment
  • for the plain maven 2 based part of the JGit build [1] we compile against 3rd party libs we have approved CQs for using maven central
  • we compile against Orbit for all Tycho-based OSGi builds in JGit, EGit [2]
  • also maven plugins used in the build are coming mostly from maven central
  • we do not re-distribute any 3rd party libraries with JGit/EGit. You may check this by
    inspecting the p2 repository [3] containing all bundles we ship and the maven
    repository we provide to distribute JGit maven artifacts [4].
  • we also use maven.eclipse.org to get the eclipse signing plugin (this is done in the
    EGit build packaging both JGit and EGit p2 repo for publication), we would like
    to also use it for maven dependencies instead of maven central as soon as
    it provides a repository containing the CQ-approved 3rd party libraries as maven
    artifacts and has a way to fix corrupt content.
  • we would prefer to stick with standard artifact identifiers for maven artifacts as JGit
    builds are also run in other environments outside Eclipse since it is used in many other
    open source projects contributing back fixes and features to JGit
[1] JGit maven reactor: http://git.eclipse.org/c/jgit/jgit.git/tree/pom.xml
[2] JGit tycho reactor: http://git.eclipse.org/c/jgit/jgit.git/tree/org.eclipse.jgit.packaging/pom.xml
      EGit tycho reactor: http://git.eclipse.org/c/egit/egit.git/tree/pom.xml
[3] p2 repository:
     continuous integration builds:
     https://hudson.eclipse.org/hudson/job/egit/ws/org.eclipse.egit-updatesite/target/site/
     release: http://download.eclipse.org/egit/updates
[4] maven repository:
     continuous integration builds:
     https://hudson.eclipse.org/hudson/job/jgit/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/target/m2/repository/
     release: http://download.eclipse.org/jgit/maven

·         Are you planning to move to ‘Orbit’?

·         Do you have your own Maven repository where you get your artifacts from?

By the way, if you think the planned naming scheme doesn’t make sense, I’d really appreciate your comments on the bug mentioned above.

Thanks in advance,

Nico

Nico Werlein • Software Architect IPP • Global Business Services and Technology • SunGard • Solmsstr. 18, 60486 Frankfurt am Main, Deutschland
Tel +49 69 70768 - 515 • Mobil +49 176 1111 0226 • nicolas.werlein@xxxxxxxxxxxwww.sungard.com/infinity

Beschreibung: Ions_FINAL_380w

Join SunGard's customers, partners and industry experts at www.sungard.com/ten to discuss how the need for more Transparency, Efficiency and Networks is changing our industry and to register for a city day event near you.
VIENNA HOUSTON FRANKFURT BEIJING
HONG KONG NEW YORK LONDON SEOUL ZURICH MUMBAI JOHANNESBURG DUBAI SAO PAULO

CONFIDENTIALITY: This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

SunGard Systeme GmbH * Registered: Frankfurt am Main, Handelsregister Frankfurt HRB 56839 * Geschäftsführer: Harold Finders, Christian U. Haas, Thorsten Heissel, Richard J. Obetz, Victoria E. Silbey