[jgit-dev] Committing generated code?

I would like feedback about http://egit.eclipse.org/r/3345

I am proposing to replace the hand-coded usage of TinyProtobuf in the
DHT code with the Google Protocol Buffers Java implementation. Its
faster and more widely supported.

Unfortunately, it works by using a C++ compiler ("protoc") to convert
the .proto file into a Java file. Since this is generated code, it
isn't usually committed. But the protoc tool isn't widely installed,
making development with it difficult.

The question is, should JGit commit the generated source file
(GitStore.java) in our repository, or should we require contributors
and build servers to download and install protoc on their systems?

--
Shawn.

Back to the top