Re: [jgit-dev] Performance of commit preparation

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 8:16 AM, Shawn Pearce <spearce@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 5:08 PM, Matthias Sohn
> <matthias.sohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> 2010/10/21 Shawn Pearce <spearce@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>>>
>>> NIO2 in Java 7 might solve this problem.  But right now that isn't
>>> available to us.  I keep thinking about doing an optional tiny JNI
>>> layer for JGit that just offers us a handful of helper routines.
>>> Exposing the basics (type, length, last modified time) of POSIX and
>>> Win32 stat system calls is one of those.
>>>
>> any hints on which other helpers we would need in addition and
>> how this layer should look like ? I would be willing to try this ...
>
> I had 5 things in mind that might be useful to JGit:

I agree these could be useful, but we should probably put the layer in
a separate bundle/fragment, which can be removed if not needed. One of
JGit's strengths over other environments is that it's pure Java, and I
know that makes a difference in some organisations in terms of its
adoption.

If we put it in its own POM and build it as a fragment (which can be
attached to JGit's bundle) with the interface in the main JGit bundle,
then a Class.forName() inside JGit will do the lookup if it's on the
path (or attached as a fragment) or null if not present.

Alex

Back to the top