Re: [jgit-dev] Handle multiple merge points when searching for common ancestor

Christian Halstrick <christian.halstrick@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Another idea would be that whenever the common base detection returns
> multiple bases base1, base2, ... baseN then determine with the same strategy
> the common base of base1, base2, ... baseN. Continue that recursive algorithm
> until you are left with only one common base.

I'm not sure that is any better than using the first one we find.
Often when you are looking for the merge base like this, you want
to know "what is new".  Digging back further to identify some very
old commit that is the merge base of everything is probably going
to lead to some very confusing output to the user, as a whole lot
will appear to be "what is new".

--
Shawn.

Back to the top