Re: [jgit-dev] History rewrite coming

This might be obvious, but are you going to keep a backup of the old data?

Bill

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 2:25 AM, Shawn O. Pearce <spearce@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm currently executing the filter script in [1] to rewrite our
headers in all revisions.  I'm hoping to finish that tonight,
and will post the results for inspection by everyone.

If the inspection is passed without comment, I'll be taking down
our Gerrit instance for several hours so I can rewrite the Gerrit
database with new commit pointers.  I think I can salvage most of
the code review history and associate everything to new SHA-1s, but
the only safe way to do that is to just take it offline for a bit.

So the timeline is:

 * TODAY: Get rewritten repository posted for review

 * Review period closes Tuesday 3/9 at 1 pm PST.
 * Gerrit shutdown at 1 pm.
 * Rewrite up and Gerrit live by 7 pm PST.
 * Update pending CQs with new code snapshot

I'm willing to accelerate the schedule if enough folks ACK that
they've looked at the results and are OK with it.  I'm primarily
concerned about the copyright lines in headers being horribly
mangled, or misattributing someone in a very bad way.

[1] http://egit.eclipse.org/r/303

--
Shawn.