Re: [jetty-users] Intriguing log message

On 16/05/2024 18:17, Simone Bordet wrote:
This is RMI, so it is not related to HTTP.

You have enabled a JMX connector to allow "remote" connections.
By default, the JMX connector only allows connections from the same
host, so you typically have to be able to SSH into the server host,
and then you can connect to the RMI server.

Ah, right. I added "-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote" to enable JMX for profiling some years ago due to some memory leaks that were hard to track down, and had forgotten to take it out of the startup script. I will take it out now.

However, as you can see, the ServerSocket is bound to the any address
0.0.0.0, so anyone can actually connect from a remote host, only to
have its connection immediately closed, and the IOException with error
message reported above be thrown.

This could be the result of port scanning, finding port 35995 open.

No, I only have ports 443 and 80 open (and have just checked with an external port scan to be sure). So I need to investigate further to try and figure out how this was done.

Many thanks for the explanation,
--
John English

www.avg.com