[jetty-dev] WebAppClassLoader dependency on java.lang.instrument

Hi,

WebAppClassLoader currently uses java.lang.ClassFileTransformer as the API for doing class file transformations during class loading.

While this is not wrong per the API specification, it does incur a dependency on the "somewhat optional" java.transformation module. This module is not included in the default java boot layer, so might need extra configuration/command line switches to enable. It's also an additional dependency which needs to be included in jlink runtime images, etc.

While I understand it is convenient to reuse an existing interface that's already in the JDK, I was wondering if it would make sense for Jetty to have its own interface for this purpose. Existing implementations could easily be plugged in via delegating wrappers.

I understand that this could have compatibility issues, so not really expecting this dependency to be dropped soon. But I wanted to share the observation anyhow.

Cheers,
Eirik.

Back to the top