Re: [jca-dev] Name Vote

Hi,

On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 4:02 PM Nathan Rauh <nathan.rauh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Jakarta Connectors" sounds like a collection of connector implementations.

You might want to suggest "Jakarta Connector" instead then. Would that take away the concern?

"Jakarta Connector Architecture" sounds like a specification that defines how to build, integrate & use connectors.

Going by that reasoning, should it not be called "Jakarta Connector Specification" then? (Following the 101 advice on naming that the words you use in the explanation are typically the right words to base a name on)

"Jakarta Connector Architecture" is the obvious name based on what the user base is already familiar with and anything else will even further distance it from the wealth of documentation, examples & tutorials that have been created over the years for the Java EE Connector Architecture.  This is something that I don't think we have the time or resources to replicate and it would be worth it to maintain this link even if we had to choose a suboptimal name to do it, although in my opinion "Jakarta Connector Architecture" is the better name anyway.

Since the names have to be changed anyway, and the abbreviations can't be used either, we might as well take this opportunity to improve the naming.

I do think that, within reason, there's not an ultimate best name. I believe though we can come up with consistent naming taking into account the entire platform If "Jakarta Connector Architecture" is the better name, intrinsically speaking, would you argue to add "architecture" after every other name in the spec?

Should JMS for instance become Jakarta Messaging Architecture?

If not, and if it's not because of history, but really because of a better name, why is JMS a Service, JPA an API and JCA an architecture?

Kind regards,
Arjan