Re: [jaxrs-dev] Round of Introductions

Hi Derek,

 Thanks for the intro.

Like Andy McCright, I think JAX-RS is long overdue for having a proxy client standard, but I'm actually not sure MP Rest Client 1.0 is the right approach. I've been using jersey-proxy-client's WebResourceFactory since Jersey 1.x, and I feel like it honors JAX-RS's Client library better than MP Rest Client does. For example, jersey-proxy-client uses JAX-RS's ClientBuilder more natively by accepting WebTarget objects gotten from a javax.ws.rs.client.Client instance as its basis of operation.

I think a serious effort should be put into comparing & contrasting Jersey's WebResourceFactory & MicroProfile's Rest Client. I joined some of the Rest Client discussions early on to ensure Rest Client would support features that WebResourceFactory is currently lacking (and that I maintain private Jersey builds of to improve), so there is some immediate benefit to the industry having Rest Client 1.0 as-is.

 I would agree on the need to align JAX-RS and the MP here. This ought to be one of our big ticket items going forward. If you have some time, it would be nice if you can put together some write-up comparing the two APIs.

— Santiago

Back to the top