Re: [jaxrs-dev] Round of Introductions

Welcome Derek! Seems like we will have some very interesting discussions here in the next time! :-)

From: jaxrs-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:jaxrs-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Derek Moore
Sent: Samstag, 24. Februar 2018 21:17
To: jaxrs developer discussions
Subject: Re: [jaxrs-dev] Round of Introductions

I'd like to introduce myself! I'm a professional computing practitioner who came of age as a young professional in the dot-com boom while I was still in high school.

I was an Eclipse contributor back in 2007 when I worked on a VoiceXML designer workspace called the Voice Tools Project.

I'm a long-time user of JAX-RS and Jersey. I've been working off and on for about 4 years on the date-parsing infrastructure in Jersey's content-type negotiation. I'd like to complete that project as Jersey is transferred to the Eclipse Foundation. Not being able to port Jersey's history, pull requests & pre-existing github organization to the Eclipse Foundation is an unfortunate side-effect of the shuffle. Hopefully we don't see forks as a result! (Although license changes might make avoiding forks impossible; I don't know.)

Like Andy McCright, I think JAX-RS is long overdue for having a proxy client standard, but I'm actually not sure MP Rest Client 1.0 is the right approach. I've been using jersey-proxy-client's WebResourceFactory since Jersey 1.x, and I feel like it honors JAX-RS's Client library better than MP Rest Client does. For example, jersey-proxy-client uses JAX-RS's ClientBuilder more natively by accepting WebTarget objects gotten from a javax.ws.rs.client.Client instance as its basis of operation.

I think a serious effort should be put into comparing & contrasting Jersey's WebResourceFactory & MicroProfile's Rest Client. I joined some of the Rest Client discussions early on to ensure Rest Client would support features that WebResourceFactory is currently lacking (and that I maintain private Jersey builds of to improve), so there is some immediate benefit to the industry having Rest Client 1.0 as-is.

In the professional Java world of the midwestern United States, I find that JAX-RS has a very slow adoption rate and is still often (stupidly & incompetently) seen as a technology that is too-new. As a result, I've long considered myself a JAX-RS evangelist dedicated to breaking through the sloth, ineptitude & old-and-moldy preferences of the entrenched Java world.

Cheers!

Derek Moore

Back to the top