Re: [jakartaee-tck-dev] Next TCK call

On 3/6/24 10:01, Brian Decker via jakartaee-tck-dev wrote:

“We do not yet know the Jakarta EE 11 Platform requirements for EJB 2.x features.  I suggest that we schedule a TCK specifically for discussing EJB 2.x features when we know the answer.”

My thinking is more that our input should be taken into consideration before anyone comes up with an answer. We, and the folks on the spec committee, should know how much work this might be in order to make a practical, informed decision instead of just making a purely academic one that ignores the reality on the ground in the current TCKs.

Since you mention the spec committee, I will echo a bit of info about what the spec committee does with TCKs from https://jakarta.ee/committees/specification/operations as others may not be aware:

"
The Specification Committee is responsible for producing, publishing and maintaining operational guidance documentation for specification projects. This includes the minimum requirements and process for producing a Final Specification. It also includes operational guidance for running a specifications TCK for the purpose of testing for compatibility.

Creating a Final Specification

A release review will have validated that the specification project has:

3. Generate standalone TCK results or platform TCK result as appropriate for the spec project.

"

I think that it is more of the responsibility of the Platform team to decide the Platform Specification requirements.

fyi https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DF0T2hbJqDNsY0v_lYFKCz-ZgHPbnMUIu6mhmt5LCJU/edit contains the minutes from yesterdays Platform call which I will echo here for general info.  Note that we discussed the below in 120 seconds and ran out of time as the call ended (will be discussed more next week I think):

"

  • EJBHome issue, raised by Jared Anderson. Platform TCK has to cover the platform requirements, and no more. For the EE 11 release, EJB will still be included. EJB includes 2.x interfaces. All optional components will be removed unless they are specifically included by the platform. Will the EE 11 platform include the requirement for EJB 2.1 to be implemented or not.

    • If it is not, should we produce an EJB jar that does include them? An optional jar?

    • There’s the TCK side

    • There’s the platform side.

"

Repeating from Slack: The problem is not the obvious EJB tests that would be impacted. It’s all of the tests in the 14 unrelated packages in the TCK, e.g. assembly, integration, jdbc, jms, jta, etc. In an ideal world, those can’t or shouldn’t just be separated out or removed.

Brian