Re: [jakartaee-tck-dev] Please give feedback on removal of webservices as part of pruning javax.xml.rpc classes

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 11:41 AM Kevin Sutter <sutter@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Scott and others,
Moving the jax-rpc tck to a separate repo is fine for "safe keeping", but I would not expect any updates to this since jax-rpc has very little use and it's being pruned from Jakarta EE.  The Spec and API for JAX-RPC are in the Stable API Project, so I'd either re-use the jax-rpc repo or create a new one.

If there are vendors who are still looking to support JAX-RPC, then that would have to be done at the Jakarta EE 8 level and that TCK would need to be used.  We are not defining any integration of Jakarta EE 9 features with the pruned Jakarta EE 8 features.

I'm not really sure if there are any vendors that would be interested, as no one stepped forward yet to express interest.  Mostly, I wanted to pause and take a moment to collect input, to make sure that others have a chance to speak up.  Very interesting about the Stable API Project, thanks for pointing that out!

Thanks for pointing out that we are not defining any integration of Jakarta EE 9 features with pruned Jakarta EE 8 features.  That makes sense and I think aligns well with the big bang approach that we are taking.  I/we should stick to the guidelines that we are following, otherwise, it could take longer to achieve our goals.

If a Jakarta EE 9 implementation still supports JAXRPC, I'm not really sure of how they would test that at the Jakarta EE 8 level, unless they are able to fully test with an EE 8 implementation (which isn't really testing JAXRPC with EE 9).  Just pointing out this distinction, in case it helps those vendors in the future, to follow this discussion.

Scott

Kevin Sutter
STSM, MicroProfile and Jakarta EE architect @ IBM
phone: tl-553-3620 (office), 507-253-3620 (office)
LinkedIn: