Generally, this TCK work is just getting started but I would hope we can complete this in time to be useful for an effort like this.

The work I describe above is separate from modifications to the TCK in support of the name-space changes.

-- Ed

On 1/29/2020 4:51 PM, sawamura.hiroki@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Certainly, the amount of fixes required to run GlassFish 5.1 on JDK 11 is not that large, but it may be difficult given the namespace migration and future maintenance...
However, the JakartaEE 8 specification does not appear to have any limitations on the version of JavaSE used to run the application server, but if we create GlassFish 5.2, we'll need to pass TCK 8 to maintain Jakarta EE 8 compatibility. At the time, we'll need to be able to work TCK 8 on JDK 11 or GlassFish 5.1 on JDK 8. When I previously tried to run TCK 8 on JDK 11, it didn't run with only the ts.jte environment file modification.

Is a version release of GlassFish that does not pass the TCK acceptable?

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Shannon <bill.shannon@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2020 1:19 PM
To: glassfish developer discussions <glassfish-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>; Sawamura, Hiroki/澤村 大輝 <sawamura.hiroki@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [glassfish-dev] Fixes that allow GlassFish 5.1 to run on both JDK 8 and JDK 11.

When I first saw this issue, I was thinking it was about making GlassFish 6 (the Jakarta EE 9 release) work on both JDK 8 and JDK 11.  The issues with doing this for GlassFish 5 are even worse because none of the components that feed into GlassFish are being updated to run on JDK 11 with their Java EE 8 versions.  Some of them already do, but for those that don't, the Java EE 8 versions will probably never be updated.

Here's the comment I added to the referenced issue:

--- begin comment

I'm not at all convinced that it's worth the effort to make GlassFish work on both JDK 8 and JDK 11.  Part of the problem is that it will require every component that's used in GlassFish to work on both JDK 8 and JDK 11. This might be especially complicated for those components that replace JDK 8 components since they won't really replace them when using the jakarta.* namespace.  Will two versions of JAX-WS / Jakata XML Web Services coexist on JDK 8?  [Obviously this isn't an issue for GlassFish 5, which wouldn't use the jakarta.* versions of the components.]

This is not just about you doing the work to handle JVM options.
This is about every other component committing to do the work to run on JDK 8, and you committing to do whatever else it takes to make all these components work, which is likely much more than just handling JVM options.

--- end comment

I can understand the demand to have a version of GlassFish 5 that works on JDK 11.  It would be reasonable to create a GlassFish 5.2 that *only* runs on JDK 11.  I think that's an acceptable amount of work.  It's not perfect from a customer perspective, but unless you're signed up to do all the work that's implied by the above, that may be the best we can do.