[jakartaee-spec-project-leads] GlassFish 6.0.0 needs Milestone releases of Compatible Implementations

All,

The GlassFish project needs to update to the Jakarta namespace for a Jakarta EE 9 release.

Currently the TCK needs an implementation of GlassFish 6.0.0 to be available early in order to run many of the TCKs and get api releases ready for review. So getting a GlassFish 6 milestone release early is important to hit the June timeframe for a Jakarta EE 9 release.

We in the GlassFish project have made some attempts to update the GlassFish code base to the Jakarta namespace however we are hitting blockers in upstream compatible implementations we integrate. These blockers are often in the form of SPIs in these projects that expose Jakarta apis in the javax namespace therefore we can’t even get GlassFish to build.

So this is a call to action for members that are also committers on implementation projects that GlassFish depends on.

  1. Please update your implementation projects to use the Jakarta namespace using the RC or Milestone api jars.
  2. Please release a milestone build of your implementation project into staging i.e. jakarta.oss.sonatype.org and/or maven central if you wish.
  3. Send an email out on this (spec project leads) list when your impl is available so that the GlassFish project knows and can integrate.

Note:

We don’t need your milestone to have passed TCKs or tests. We literally need these milestone releases so that GlassFish can be compiled in the new namespace. We can hunt down test failures later.

Thanks

Steve

Back to the top