Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] [EXTERNAL] Re: Seeking 1:1 with Scott Stark to get wave list into steady state (Betriebsfähigwellebeschreibungausgabe)

On Thu, Jul 20, 2023 at 12:10 PM Arjan Tijms via jakartaee-platform-dev <jakartaee-platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, 20 Jul 2023 at 03:35, hantsy bai via jakartaee-platform-dev <jakartaee-platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What does this mean? CDI will be split into new small specs? CDI core will take over JSR 330 and work on Java SE?

CDI core should already work on Java SE. AFAIK it was explicitly designed with SE in mind. SE being the better EE, in a way (I know viewpoints on this differ).

I think JSR 330 will not change anymore, but its direct replacement in Jakarta EE is Jakarta Dependency Injection (https://jakarta.ee/specifications/dependency-injection/). Jakarta Dependency is still many many times smaller than even CDI Core.

My proposal would be to fold Jakarta Dependency into Jakarta CDI Core. The Jakarta EE platform has no need whatsoever for an independent Jakarta Dependency Injection specification. Its existence is purely historical, and back then it wasn't even a technical need.

That would be very hostile to the existing AtInject implementations like Guice or Dagger. (Guice is actually based on `jakarta.inject` since their version 7.0, see https://github.com/google/guice/wiki/Guice700, Dagger seems to be still discussing this). I know that Jakarta EE doesn't necessarily have to care, and I agree it would make certain things so much easier, but I as a CDI committer care very much. Let's not break AtInject. (Not more than we already did. See the Guice and Dagger issue trackers. We probably have a communication problem here, but that's for another discussion.)

LT

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms