Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] [External] : Re: Simplifying the platform by merging some specs?

Hi,

In the end, I think what Arjan advocates for and most of the people here agree with, is simplifying Jakarta EE for users. I think that boils down to basically 2 major things.

One is documentation and how Jakarta EE is presented. We should make it easy to understand the holistic view which Jakarta EE Platform users care about. Most of the time they aren't really interested how these holistic concepts are separated into individual specs.

Another major thing is that there's no logical or formal grouping of specifications. Even though there are many specifications that touch similar topics (JSON-P and JSON-B, or DI and CDI, or the 3 Security specs), they are completely independent in the same way as any other spec.

We could improve documentation so that it revolves around high level topics like Security, JSON, rather than specs. The Jakarta EE tutorial already does that pretty well already. But when we promote amd advocate about Jakarta EE, most of the time, only either the whole platform or individual specs/implementations are promoted and blogged about. We should start showing how things fit together when we talk, blog and present at conferences about Jakarta EE.

That leads me to the second thing, and that is formal grouping of similar specs and codumentation projects. If we officially recognize some spec groups, (e.g. Security, JSON, HTTP, DI, etc. ), it would be easier to evolve them, promote and talk about them in unified groups than about individual specifications. To distinguish them with the platform or profiles, I would call them frameworks but that's a matter of taste really.

On top of that, I think that we should consideer merging or grouping some documentation utility projects in EE4J. There are Jakarta EE tutorial and First Cup tutorial (part of EE platform), then CargoTracker, Eclipse Starter for Jakarta EE, and Examples for Jakarta EE as separate Eclipse projects. This is far too many and scattered. If something's worth merging, then all these developer-oriented projects with tools and examples, so that it's easier to maintain them, contribute to them, and also integrate them well together, hopefully at a prominent place in jakarta.ee, e.g. https://start.jakarta.ee/

As Romain concluded, merging specs if the result for users is the same (e.g. spec A and B become module A and module B of the same spec), only brings advantage internally (simplifies the release, makes it easier for the same committers to work on both APIs, maintain a single TCK and spec document, etc.) It's not necessary to merge specs in order to help the users. I think we should focus on the end result that matter's most and that's clarity, usability, and good developer documentation.

Kind regards,

Ondrej Mihályi

Senior Payara Service Engineer
Payara - Supported Enterprise Software for Jakarta EE and MicroProfile Applications
US: +1 415 523 0175 | UK: +44 207 754 0481

Payara is a proud recipient of the prestigious Queen's Award for Enterprise: International Trade 2021

Payara-Tech LDA, Registered Office: Rua Nova de São Pedro no. 54, 2nd floor, room “D”, 9000 048 Funchal, Ilha da Madeira, Portugal