Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] [External] : Re: Review of Platform TCK removal of duplicate Jakarta JSON Binding tests

Hi,

I don't know how JSON-B TCK does it now, it probably doesn't give any details about how to run the TCK with Arquillian according to what Romain wrote. But I think you can follow a guide and examples on the Jakarta Batch TCK, which also uses JUnit 5 for tests.

In Batch, the core TCK uses plain JUnit 5 with flat classpath. But we've developed an extension for Arquillian to automatically build a deployment WAR for Arquillian tests. The example project uses the official JUnit 5 extension from the Arquillian project to run the tests in an Arquillian container instead of the current classpath. Since the tests don't define a deployment (it's not needed with a flat classpath), our extension for Arquillian defines the deployment automatically for each test, based on Maven dependencies defined in pom.xml.

I think that in the JSON-B TCK, the same approach can be used to run the tests via Arquillian, either with the extension we developed in Batch or with a similar extension. Have a look at https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/batch-tck/tree/master/jakarta.batch.arquillian.exec for the example Arquillian-based TCK runner and instructions how to set it up. Also look at the related jakarta.batch.arquillian.exec-parent project and the extension in jakarta.batch.arquillian.extension.

In the future, I hope we can unify this approach and documentation for each TCK that uses JUnit 5 or Arquillian.

Kind regards,

Ondrej Mihályi

Senior Payara Service Engineer
Payara - Supported Enterprise Software for Jakarta EE and MicroProfile Applications
US: +1 415 523 0175 | UK: +44 207 754 0481

Payara is a proud recipient of the prestigious Queen's Award for Enterprise: International Trade 2021

Payara-Tech LDA, Registered Office: Rua Nova de São Pedro no. 54, 2nd floor, room “D”, 9000 048 Funchal, Ilha da Madeira, Portugal