Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Standardizing new TCK packages (was: package prefixes for Jakarta Batch TCK-related classes? org.eclipse.ee4j.batch ?)

Le mer. 5 janv. 2022 à 16:37, Emily Jiang <emijiang6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
@Romain Manni-Bucau
 I must have misunderstood your question. Let me try again to clarify this:
1. what's the plan about the spec saying jakarta.* should be excluded from the applications (which means it cant be used by TCK)?
I disagree with what you said jakarta.* can't be used by TCK  because TCKs are part of specs and do not fall into the application category. Besides, can you point out which spec has this sentence? We need to discuss this further to see whether it is correct to say so if it does have this sentence.

Ok so the consequence of you statement is that there is no application code in TCK, no CDI bean, no EJB, no servlet, no JSP etc... (which is not true right?) so TCK are mainly a) application code and b) test code (sometimes c) runner code but let's integrate it in b)).

If you want one example, servlet 10.7.2 (for v4.0 to take one example) explicit it and for good technical reasons so it is a "must stay" but it implies TCK shouldn't reuse the same package by design and as it always had been so it let you org.eclipse for projects without an historical package (guess it is more than fine to keep the existing one when it is there).

2. What about user confusion? "not care" :(?
Not sure what user confusion do you mean? TCKs are pretty much for implementers. Besides, I am not sure what confusions you are referring to. I think the namespace with jakarta.tck is clearer as it means the tck classes from Jakarta.

As soon as you get the dependency in a dependency - you are an user by definition - then you can get issues if you use jakarta.
It is also the case for end user - who never use tck package - on maven if they are released under jakarta groupId so as recommended in java ecosystem the groupId should be aligned on the package base name so likely use org.eclipse.jakarta.spec or alike. The risk is users start importing tck instead of the spec and application will work cause the spec comes transitively but it is not what jakarta wants, right? Making it clean is trivial and consistent with everything so I think it is worth not trying to be more clever than we need to.

HTH