Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] RMI-IIOP and CORBA

I agree it would be better to be explicit about it in the release plan although it is somewhat implicit. What does that mean for votes currently ongoing though?

-----Original Message-----
From: jakartaee-platform-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx <jakartaee-platform-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Bill Shannon
Sent: 10 January 2020 03:06
To: jakartaee-platform developer discussions <jakartaee-platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [jakartaee-platform-dev] RMI-IIOP and CORBA

I just realized that the Jakarta EE 9 Release Plan doesn't say anything
explicit about RMI-IIOP or CORBA.   They are both removed from JDK 11,
and Jakarta EE 9 explicitly removes EJB interoperability, which depends on RMI-IIOP, but nothing is said about RMI-IIOP or CORBA themselves.

My original Jakarta EE 9 proposal was explicit that RMI-IIOP and CORBA would not be included.  I think we should update the current plan to make this explicit as well.

Note that this means any product providing backwards compatibility will need to provide a complete ORB and RMI-IIOP support, including the javax.rmi APIs.  (The javax.rmi APIs would not be migrated to the jakarta namespace.)

Comments?