Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Java EE Guardians Statement on Oracle/Eclipse Agreement

Edwin Derks wrote on 6/5/19 10:11 AM:

> As far as my information goes, initially we aimed to release Jakarta EE 8 as a
> Java EE 8 as-is compatible platform on the specification level. When this
> thought was brought into existence, the javax renaming discussion did not
> exist yet. So as of today, we could initially release Jakarta EE 8 compatible
> with Java EE 8, but with the implementations and specifications
> rebranded/renamed form javax.* to jakarta.*. This is likely to break
> back-wards compatibility, but on a code level, not on a functional level.
That's not correct.  Jakarta EE 8 will continue to use javax.* and be completely
compatible with Java EE 8.  The rebranding and relicensing will occur for
Jakarta EE 8, but not at the package level.  The package renaming is only an
issue when we want to change any APIs, which would not happen before Jakarta EE 9.

Back to the top