[jakartabatch-dev] Ideas on expanding TCK to include tests for both with and without JobOperator bean in test app variations ?

Hi all.. hope everyone had a good holiday and New Year's.

As we aim to wrap up Batch 2.1 this month, let me solicit ideas for one piece I'm not clear how best to implement.

From the JobOperator bean discussion (https://www.eclipse.org/lists/jakartabatch-dev/msg00269.html) we decided to add at least two TCK tests:  one with and one without a TCK-provided JobOperator bean (the one "with" to simulate a user app-provided JobOperator bean).

A question then:  what mechanics do we use to provide the variation?

I'm not sure.

One thought is that if we had settled on using Arquillian at the "core" of the TCK, I think we would add this variation along with the custom ShrinkWrap deployments we're building, building the deployments differently for one test class vs. another.

But in the TCK we're technically saying that the JUnit 5 layer is the TCK "core" and that the Arquillian extension is just a way to bridge from JUnit 5 into a remote/managed Arquillian container.
And it's possible to execute the TCK without using Arquillian at all, (e.g. how the com.ibm.jbatch.tck.exec executes the TCK against jbatch).

So...another idea I could easily imagine would be using two Maven failsafe executions, with different configurations, one with vs. without the JobOperator bean.

That packaging / configuration feels a bit off to me, however.   Instead of providing one package and requiring the users to run multiple variations, carving it up and excluding a piece... maybe we should just provide two packages?

So I'm thinking of adding a second 'maven-jar-plugin' execution with a 'classifier' to produce a second JAR package without the JobOperator bean.     (Or we could use a second module if we'd rather have one artifact per module.)

I'll proceed with that unless someone has a better idea, and will be working off of  https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/batch-tck/issues/32.

Any thoughts?

Scott Kurz
WebSphere / Open Liberty Batch and Developer Experience
skurz@xxxxxxxxxx