Re: [incubation] Delete top commit from git master branch

I would add, it is technically possible to delete a commit entirely but you need webmaster help to disable the non-fastforward flag. This is a nuclear option and I would only suggest it if there is a strong reason, like a data privacy breach or accidental release of bad IP (GPL etc). In that case email webmaster and they can walk you through it. Sounds like it is not warranted in this case but just mentioning for awareness.

John

On Sep 20, 2016 11:00 AM, "Alois Z." <alois.zoitl@xxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I know that it is bad. And I just want to do it becaus of this dumb mistake.

The reason I post it is that especially the Eclipse git server is recjtecting my fastforward commit and I wanted to aks how other committers would handle this use case in the Eclipse world.

And as I got three times the revert I go with the revert.

Thanks to all,
Alois

Gesendet: Dienstag, 20. September 2016 um 16:55 Uhr
Von: "Daniel Megert" <daniel_megert@xxxxxxxxxx>
An: "Discussions for new Eclipse projects" <incubation@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Betreff: Re: [incubation] Delete top commit from git master branch
Hi Alois

This is the wrong list.

Deleting a commit is very bad and should not be done. Instead, just revert it.

Dani

From:        "Alois Z." <alois.zoitl@xxxxxx>
To:        incubation@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date:        20.09.2016 16:51
Sent by:        incubation-bounces@eclipse.org

Hi,

not sure if this is a question for incubation but as I'm rather new to git and git on Eclipse I thought it could be a good place.

As described in the subject my problem is that I was a little to quick in gerrit and added a commit to the master branch which should have gone to another branch. In the meantime I was able to cherry pick the commit to the intended branch but I'm not able to delete it from my master branch on the remote git repo @ eclipse.org. I know that this is in general bad but it would really help me if I could delete the last commit on my master branch.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

BR,
incubation mailing list
incubation@xxxxxxxxxxx