Re: [ide-dev] Beware MSFT bullshit

On 23 Mar 2017, at 11:38, Mickael Istria wrote:

On 03/22/2017 06:08 PM, Carsten Reckord wrote:

From reading that article

This article is the most biased and maybe one of the less influential ones (took a year to spot it...) we've found and shared there in the last years, and none of the other articles we've seen do mention that the lack of syntax highlighting is a reason why tool X is better than Eclipse IDE. On the contrary, Eclipse IDE is often praised (and criticized) for the advanced features such as completion, navigation, debug and so on. It seems like those rich features are really what users are expecting to be great in an IDE, and they care more about them than having IDE able to display colors just like vim or notepad can already do.
I don't say highlighting all files is useless, I'm just unsure it's high priority and unsure it would bring much value to users without richer features for a language in an IDE.

You are asking for data - is https://marketplace.eclipse.org/content/eclipse-color-theme#group-metrics-tab being constantly at top 1 or 2 in marketplace not the most concrete evidence of people missing and valuing basic
syntax highlighting ?

Hence why my vision on TM4E is to make more like a framework for efficient language support more than a end-user feature. But both can be compatible, it just takes contributions to target those 2 stories well ;)

We have to stop only focusing on building frameworks for other plugin developers.

Make stuff that are useful for users of the IDE if you want to see Eclipse desktop survive.

Seems like we're losing ground not to more sophisticated IDEs, but to much simpler editors.

Do you have facts or metrics to help with that?
On the Eclipse side, do we have download stats trends? It seems to me that the amount of installations from Marketplace is relatively stable (looking at https://marketplace.eclipse.org/content/eclipse-color-theme#group-metrics-tab ), so this may be an indicator that the number of users is too.

Yes, so you are showing that majority of users capable of using eclipse marketplace decides to install a plugin for basic syntax highlighting. Nothing else.

Next after that is mvn and svn support.

Seems to me that is more than enough proof users are looking to get basic features covered. Not complex first.

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen

Back to the top