Re: [ide-dev] Java IDEs comparison

On 09/25/2016 06:16 PM, Daniel Megert wrote:
> Is it a bad idea because switching branches is bad or because the IDE doesn't support it well? It smells like we're touching another topic worth exploring in Eclipse IDE...

There are at least three issues with it:
1. EGit does not allow to switch branches on multiple repos at once
Ok.
2. You usually also have to change the PDE target platform
OK, however this is only for the PDE use-cases. Users of Java, JEE, C/C++, JS, Android packages at least are likely to never face this issue.
3. It takes *much* longer to do this than just launching a workspace that already has the desired branch
On the other side, having multiple workspaces with different branches mean that users have 2 copies of the same Git repo. I don't know how popular this practice is; I didn't see any Git documentation pushing towards such workflow.
When I try it locally on an average Git repo (9 Maven modules as projects in workspace), the "Switch to" operation only takes a couple of seconds. This seems faster that starting up Eclipse IDE. Can you elaborate on which part takes "much longer"? Are you speaking about the workspace rebuild?
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer for Red Hat Developers

Back to the top