Re: [ide-dev] Respinning Mars.2 with GTK2 by default

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 11:40 AM, Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 05/04/2016 05:12 PM, Doug Schaefer wrote:
You're kidding, right? If I put that in my product I'd get fired. Which, BTW, is what you're suggesting.
Most of SWT contributors for Linux work for organizations doing Linux distros that aren't Ubuntu-based AFAIK. So it's very likely that this kind of issue with Ubuntu will happen ever and ever again as long as Ubuntu tries to do new things with relatively low internal quality.
It's somehow fair to explain that to users and give them workarounds and even recommend other distributions. The pop-up is the best way to get to that direction.

There's already a pop-up if the JRE is missing, too old, or failing; the OS is a similar requirement as a JRE so I believe we can use the same kind of interaction with users.

I fix that by redistributing a JRE to make sure there's one there. I can't do that with this issue.

--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat