Re: [ide-dev] Dropping the release names (Neon, Oxygen) from user downloads

On 29.04.2016 10:44, Gunnar Wagenknecht wrote:
Here is an experiment - any Chrome users out there? Who can tell me the last time they looked at the version number of their browser to see if their browser is old?

Actually just a few days ago, but that was coincidental.

Chrome and Eclipse versions are pretty much apples and oranges - at least as far as end users are concerned. Chrome has a very strong and smooth update story that does a really good job of making the version irrelevant to me. Eclipse doesn't.

If we should ever get to the point where automatic updates can just be applied seamlessly in the background, by all means, let's throw away all user-facing code names and version numbers completely. I'd party hard on that day...

Back to the top