Re: [ide-dev] A "releases/latest" URL in the IDE to ease upgrades?

How about using Import plugins from existing installation? This is the one stop shop to get all your plugins, that carry their own update URL in the feature.xml

Kind regards/vriendelijke groeten

Maarten Meije
Sent from iPhone

Op 3 dec. 2015 om 16:04 heeft Gautier de Saint Martin Lacaze <gautier.desaintmartinlacaze@xxxxxxxxx> het volgende geschreven:

Hi Mickael,

My feeling is that "check for update" should update Eclipse to the latest release. If I update firefox, I want the lastest release not the lastest update of my actual major version.

I agree with Bruno about third party plugins. I try multiple version of Eclipse, and it's really annoying to install each time all my favorite plugins.

Best regards

Gautier de SAINT MARTIN LACAZE

Today I had to assist a user in upgrading from Luna to Mars. He didn't do it so far because he was a bit lazy to re-download a package and re-install all his favorite bundles. I told him about the upgrade, ant the first thing he tried was "Check for updates", that didn't work. Then he had to look for help on Google to do the upgrade. He reached a StackOverfow post that was not very positive about Eclipse IDE, but that drive him to the solution of adding and enabling the releases/mars URL and then trying Check for Updates successfully.
IMO, there is one lesson to learn from this user story: some users expect "Check for updates" to provide updates.
I believe in order to provide that, it's mainly a matter of creating a releases/latest URL that would reference the latest release and be updated whenever necessary, and to enable this URL in Eclipse EPP packages by default.
Now the question is more: "Is this something we want to do?". For the plain Eclipse IDE user, I believe it would be profitable since updates would be more accessible. The doubt remains on the plugin providers: in case they don't have their content ready for the next release when it happens, then it means that user can reach a worse state when they update, because of those 3rd-party plugins. However, good management of dependency versions should be able to spot that and at least show an error (with remediation) when trying to update.

What do you think it best: auto-update to new major, or expect users to do the steps mentioned above to adopt the latest improvements?
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat