Re: [ide-dev] Ctrl-1 driven development

Dani,

To a significant extent, Oomph makes it possible to create your own package.  The Mars.1 version of the Java package is fully described by this in the Eclipse.org Product catalog:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<setup.p2:P2Task
    xmi:version="2.0"
    xmlns:xmi="http://www.omg.org/XMI"
    xmlns:setup.p2="http://www.eclipse.org/oomph/setup/p2/1.0"
    label="Eclipse IDE for Java Developers (Mars)">
  <requirement
      name="epp.package.java"
      versionRange="[4.5.0,4.6.0)"/>
  <requirement
      name="org.eclipse.platform.feature.group"
      versionRange="[4.5.0,4.6.0)"/>
  <requirement
      name="org.eclipse.rcp.feature.group"
      versionRange="[4.5.0,4.6.0)"/>
  <requirement
      name="org.eclipse.jdt.feature.group"
      versionRange="[3.11.0,3.12.0)"/>
  <repository
      url="" class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="http://download.eclipse.org/technology/epp/packages/mars">"http://download.eclipse.org/technology/epp/packages/mars"/>
  <repository
      url="" class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="http://download.eclipse.org/releases/mars/201510021000">"http://download.eclipse.org/releases/mars/201510021000"/>
</setup.p2:P2Task>

If this package didn't contain the XML Editor---it does because the epp.package.java requires it---it would be a matter of adding one more requirement:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<p2:Requirement
    xmi:version="2.0"
    xmlns:xmi="http://www.omg.org/XMI"
    xmlns:p2="http://www.eclipse.org/oomph/p2/1.0"
    name="org.eclipse.wst.xml_ui.feature.feature.group"
    versionRange="[3.7.0,3.7.1)"/>

We could certainly add to the generated catalog a product that includes "everything".  I doubt anyone wants that and I doubt that all things interact well with each other.

I could also imagine a shopping list experience (like Marketplace) that would allow users to choose additional things.  Of course it could (and likely would) end up much like my ebook shopping experience at Amazon, where there are so many choices it's hard to find the ones I really want.

The bottom line is that there is infrastructure in place to address the problem with a new way of thinking.  One that doesn't involve the user trying to figure out which bundled package is the best starting point to fit their needs...