Re: [ide-dev] Cross-platform free Visual Studio

On 30 Apr 2015, at 21:31, Michael Scharf wrote:

On 2015-04-30 20:49, Mike Milinkovich wrote:
On 30/04/2015 12:57 PM, Fabio Zadrozny wrote:
​ell, what can I say, I do contribute back things from LiClipse to open source

Fabio,

I certainly understand that you need to eat :) I was just meant that there are limits to what the rest of us can do with your code if it's not OSS.

Is closed source the only alternative to open source?

Can there be open source without the product being free of charge?

Why not having a model where "invited" participants support the work?

Or, if you get access to the code, you agree *not* to make it freely
available.

I believe you are describing Shared source, something Microsoft done a few licenses on in past.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_source

But yeah, just because the source is available does not make it actually open source.

/max

Michael

--
Mike Milinkovich